Cooking Classes

18.1.16

Simple Parmesan Rind Stock


For the past couple of days I have been cleaning my kitchen. Emptying all shelves and drawers, washing them and replacing all my dishes, cooking pots, spices and flavourings. Today I finished. Cleaning my refrigerator was the finale.

For months I have been collecting cheese rinds. I sometimes add one to a chicken stock that I am making. Today I tossed about a dozen of them into a stock pot with frozen bits of fennel, carrots, onion and vegetables I have also been setting aside for a stock making session. I added about a gallon of cold water, bay leaves and turned on the high heat to bring all to a boil. When it was merrily bubbling away I reduced the heat to maintain a light boil. I left that on the stove top for about 45 minutes.

After cooling for awhile and straining in my colander this is the rich stock I collected. Now packaged and labelled and returned to the freezer I have the beginnings of some wonderful soups, stews and sauces. Easy as that.

Then I immediately concocted this version of avgolemono Greek soup. But without the lemons. I had none. Thanks, Ren, for the comment. You are absolutely right. This is more like an Italian straciatella than avglolemono.

Quick and Easy Egg Drop Soup with Spinach and Orzo

2 c. parmesan rind stock
1/4 c. orzo pasta
1/4 c. finely chopped spinach
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. camelina oil
sea salt and piment d'esplet to taste

Boil the stock with the orzo until it is tender. Add spinach to wilt. Lightly beat the egg with the oil in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle into the simmering soup and stir until cooked, about one minute. Serve immediately. Garnish with piment d'esplet.

2 comments:

  1. Those cheese rinds do make a great broth and can add beautiful flavor to soups. Your soup looks delicious, but the only thing I'd change is the name. My Greek wife was scandalized because she says you can't have a Greek egg and lemon soup without the lemon. Also, the egg would first be incorporated with some of the broth for a velvety, creamy effect. My Italian self thinks it's just a matter of your misnaming it. It is exactly like the stracciatella soup that we make, usually with a chicken broth, plus the spinach and egg. The egg drizzled slowly into the hot soup produces the straciatella (tatters)of the egg in the form of thin strands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. It is more like a stracciatella. I just used what I had on hand. Also reminds me of a Chinese egg drop soup, which uses corn instead of spinach.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.