Cooking Classes

31.8.14

Lemongrass Chicken Curry

I have been craving real food. My summer is so busy and I feel like I am letting all the wonderful produce of the season pass me by. There is never time to make anything but a pot of steamed peas with butter. Or a big mess of green beans. The balanced meal has been difficult to fit into my baking schedule for the market.

Lemongrass was in my refrigerator. I buy wonderful herbs, vegetables and fruit and there they sit. But it was the lemongrass that motivated me. It should have been the chocolate mint. My herb vendor gave me chocolate mint and suggested I make tea. It sat for a couple of weeks in my produce bin in the refrigerator and finally it was moved to my compost pail. Every time I opened the pail to add trimmings and peels the mint was instantly reminding me how I lost that opportunity.

A lot of vegetables can be added if you like. I added the kernels from a cob of fresh corn and a few cherry tomatoes but I can see zucchini going nicely with this. There is a lot of curry sauce.

This is a Sri Lankan inspired lemongrass chicken. I had everything in my pantry except the chicken. Serve with basmati rice, white or brown.


Lemongrass Chicken Curry


2 lbs chicken breast cut into large pieces
1 onion sliced
2 jalapeno chiles sliced 
5 curry leaves
2 stalks lemon grass (bruised and cut into 2 inch pieces)
1 inch piece cinnamon stick
juice of 1 lemon  
1 tsp. turmeric powder
2 green cardamom pods
3-4 cloves
3 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tbsb. grated fresh garlic
1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
salt and black pepper tor taste
red chili flakes to taste
cornstarch as needed


Cut chicken and season it with salt and black pepper.  Add some cornstarch to coat outside of chicken lightly.  In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons canola oil.  Fry curry leaves, lemongrass for 1 minute.

Then add the chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes until outside of chicken is browned.  Next add ginger, garlic, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and cook for another 2 minutes.  Finally add onion and jalapeno chilies and some salt.  Fry for another 2 minutes.   Then add turmeric powder, and red chili flakes.  Fry for another 1 minute.



Add the juice of the lemon and chicken stock and more salt to cook.  Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium high heat.  Finally add coconut milk and cook for another 2 minutes.  Taste for salt and seasoning.  Serve over rice. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.