Cooking Classes

25.5.14

Rhubarb Johnny Cake





Cooking proved to be a bit of a challenge for me today. In addition to this rhubarb cake I was testing a recipe for a turkey burger. Do not walk away from a heating pan. Fortunately the little bit of oil that was in it did not burst into flame but the smoke alarm was telling my neighbours all about my moment of carelessness in the kithcen.

After I cut the rhubarb and tossed it with the sugar and ginger, I realized that I had no butter in the house. It is Sunday morning and I had to wait for an hour before a store opened. Thus there was a bit of juice in the bowl. I added it to the final batter. 

I used regular cornmeal in this recipe and it worked just fine. I might search out corn flour and try it again. Either way, it would be an excellent breakfast or dessert dish. I also forgot to add the sour cream and vanilla. It really wasn't a day I should have been following a recipe. But then again it is always nice to find a recipe that can handle a few mistakes and still turn out nicely.

This is naturally gluten free and is not loaded with sugar. Any summer fruit would work equally as well as rhubarb.

Rhubarb Johnny Cake
 
2 cups rhubarb
2 tablespoons sugar 

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ginger or cardamom
1 cup corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
2 tablespoon sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon raw sugar


Preheat the oven to 350° Grease a 9” cake pan.
Gently toss the fruit with 2 tablespoons of sugar and the spice of your choice. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the corn flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat 1/2 cup sugar with the butter until creamy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
Add the corn flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just enough to combine. Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread into an even layer.


Arrange the fruit on top of the batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool and then sprinkle the raw sugar over the top.
Slice and serve with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream. Serves 8.

Recipe from Cheryl Paff of Black-Eyed Suzie's Upstate 

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many times I finished making something and then only later realized I'd forgotten ingredients. It's always a great day when a recipe can survive that!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.