Cooking Classes

7.1.14

Everything Old is New Again - Wedge of Iceberg Salad


I have posted this previously but it is so good that it deserves a repeat. Val at More Than Burnt Toast has chosen a retro theme this month. I love this new take on the old wedge of iceberg lettuce salad. It is showing up on menus everywhere.

This classic salad is back in fashion and I am glad.  I love this salad and now that I can have it when I eat out, makes me even happier.  I am using crispy, salted duck cracklings rather than the pancetta.  I found a nice little wedge of Maytag Blue Cheese (sells for $18.99/lb) at Fresh Market in Knoxville.  It is so good, not too strong and very creamy.

Check out these interesting reduxes on retro favourites...

Val – Main – Bolognese Meatloaf
Susan – Appetizers/Hors D’oeuvres
 Endive stuffed with Crab

Jerry – Green Bean Casserole with Madeira Mushrooms
Sandi – Gingery Banana Pudding


Iceberg Wedges with Creamy Bleu Cheese Dressing          serves 4
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 T buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 large head of iceberg lettuce, each cut into quarters
1 green onion, chopped
4 slices pancetta, prosciutto or bacon

Whisk mayonnaise, 1/4 cup blue cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, and vinegar in medium bowl until almost smooth. Mix in remaining blue cheese. Season dressing generously with cracked black pepper. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Cut the pancetta (prosciutto or bacon) into bite size pieces and saute until crispy.  Arrange lettuce wedges on 4 plates. Spoon dressing over lettuce. Sprinkle with green onions, pancetta and additional black pepper and serve.

6 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a wedge salad ~ my all time fav!
    Happy New Year! Here's to more Cooking Light in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has me drooling, Sarah! That bacon and slab of blue cheese make this simple iceberg wedge a thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Duck cracklings. Much better than the wedge salads of my past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classics are classics for a reason... this is a great salad with crispy lettuce and thick rich cheese. Perfect food if you ask me!
    Happy 2014~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good wedge salad - funny how many restaurants are featuring them again. I guess that is proof that everything old will be new again if you just wait long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my all-time favorite salads Sarah, I don't care if it's retro or current . . . it's just the BEST! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.