Cooking Classes

22.11.09

Salmon with Dandelion Greens and Hot Olive Oil Dressing


This month of salads is fun because I am trying things I have never tried before.  Take dandelion greens, for example.  I have always wanted to try them but either they were not available or seemed expensive or I had no good ideas.  This is my opportunity.  Also, I bought some lovely house smoked salmon in Maryville.  Even though it is cooked through the smoking process, I have decided to sear it for extra flavour and to warm it to serve with the warmed greens.  I did brush the salmon with Honey Citrus Glaze from one of my previous posts.

This could easily be made as a dinner for one.

Dandelion Greens with Hot Olive-Oil Dressing
adapted from Gourmet  | April 2007

Makes 4 servings

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
1/3 cup sliced almonds (1 ounce)
1 orange or mandarin orange, segmented
2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound tender young dandelion greens, any tough stems discarded
4 pieces of salmon or one whole side of salmon, fresh or smoked


Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic and almonds, stirring frequently, until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add orange segments and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring until combined.

Pour hot dressing over dandelion greens in a bowl, tossing with tongs to coat.  Arrange on a plate.

Sear salmon in a hot pan and place on top of the greens.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you're killing me Sarah. This looks unbelievable! I love salmon, almonds and mandarin, what a terrific Combination! I will absolutely, positively give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a dear! It was fantastic, actually. Even better than I expected. The dandelion greens were not bitter in the least but they are a substantial green, like halfway between spinach and chard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I love salads that are topped with fish or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pam! I love to have a bit of protein on my salads, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.